POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Intel plans to use Pov : Re: Intel plans to use Pov Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Intel plans to use Pov
From: Rick [Kitty5]
Date: 22 Jan 2001 07:43:42
Message: <3a6c2afe@news.povray.org>
> Real-time raytracing? What next - real-time raytraced games?   =D

I dont think you will ever see fully real time raytraced games.

games using raytraced shadows, or raytraced refelections on certain objects
instead on an image map etc yes

for real time 3d you get so much more bang for your buck using the current
methods, and gfx accelarators are only concerned with throwing more and more
polygons around, with ever increasing textured detail

image the situation in say 5 years, a developer has a choice, hugly complex
meshes & textures, all being thrown around at blistering speed, with a huge
array of special effects at there disposal, or a vastly simpler scene, but
raytraced?

it would make more sense to raytrace where is is needed and nowhere else,
and as good rendering & lighting engine (with FSAA) will usually produce
results that are not worlds away from there raytraced counterparts.

> Looks like we're getting closer and closer to the Matrix...

and then someone says glass, and your back to square one.....

--
Rick

POV-Ray News & Resources - http://povray.co.uk
Kitty5 WebDesign - http://kitty5.com
Hi-Impact web site design & database driven e-commerce
TEL : +44 (01625) 266358 - FAX : +44 (01625) 611913 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key