POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help with my new webserver : Re: Help with my new webserver Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with my new webserver
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 16 Jan 2001 15:50:31
Message: <3a64b417@news.povray.org>
does your friend also have adsl ???
... from the same provider ???

do you both have similar ip's ???
are you in the same subnet ???

possibly the firewall is set up to let all connections from your subnet in
???

i have choosen, to setup my firewall not dependent from the ip I have, but
from the device the connections are coming (and going)

but I use iptables (netfilter of the 2.4.0-kernel)

first thing i did was to drop ping-packages the come from ippp0/ippp1 (i use
isdn)
then (for the moment) all other connections are allowed ...
masquerading is done for the ippp0/ippp1 interface ...
and every connection that comes from one of the eth* (my house-network) on
tcp-port 80 is redirected to this computer at port 3128 ...
so i configured it to be a transparent proxy ... and surfing is quite a lot
faster on often visited pages ...

I don't know if you wanted to hear this, but i'm (quite) proud of having
done this myself, so i thought i'll tell it everybody *g* ...

--
Jan Walzer