POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: deform : Re: Field_deform (was: Request: deform) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Field_deform (was: Request: deform)
From: Rune
Date: 15 Jan 2001 12:19:49
Message: <3a633135@news.povray.org>
Let's see if we understand each other so far.

In the scene file there will be a block of bone information.
Maybe like this (like you suggested):

mesh {
   boned_mesh {
      mesh_data...
      bone_data...
   }
}

Or maybe like this (as I find more logic):

mesh {
   mesh_data...
   bone_deform {bone_data...}
}

A bone consists of an ID number, two times two points and two vectors and a
radius and a strength. Maybe like:

bone_deform {
   bone {
      ID-number,
      home_end1, home_dir1, home_end2, home_dir2,
      curr_end1, curr_dir1, curr_end2, curr_dir2,
      radius, strength
   }
   bone {...}
}

The fields defined by the strengths and radii of the bones will control how
much each vertex is influenced by each bone.

> From the user's perspective, it just lets them specify everything,
> nothing, or just a few points, while POV automatically computes
> anything they leave out with no extra syntax.

Yes, the user can specify the weights for individual vertices to gain
greater control. But what would the syntax for this be?

bone_deform {
   weights {
      ???
   }
}

One way or the other we will end up having one weight for each bone for each
vertex. This information may be stored in a compact way as we've discussed
earlier.

This information will be used to deform the mesh by moving the vertices
according to the bones and the weights. After the deformation has happened,
all the bone information can be deleted again. In the rendering stage the
mesh will render just like any other mesh.

As you see, the only real question I have now is about the user-defined
weight data. But this is only provided that we agree about all the rest,
which I doubt... :)

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 6)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org