POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: deform : Re: Field_deform (was: Request: deform) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Field_deform (was: Request: deform)
From: Rune
Date: 14 Jan 2001 17:27:48
Message: <3a6227e4$1@news.povray.org>
Let me see if I understand your storing system.
There's an array full of bone-id/weight pairs with no duplicates.
Each element in the array stores exactly one bone-id/weight pair.
For each vertex in the mesh there's one or several pointers bone-id/weight
pairs.
Is that right?

What I don't understand is how it makes sense to store individual weights.
The weights are *relative to other weights* so storing just one
bone-id/weight pair at a time makes no sense.
Or does it? Can you explain?

> I was thinking all the information would be stored, and
> the fields would simply initialise the data...this would
> make cleaner code and be a little (maybe a lot) faster.

Yes, maybe that is better.

> The information wouldn't have to exist for long (it wouldn't
> be needed in the rendering stage, just in the parse stage)

I know! I already mentio- ... Never mind.

Anyway, the data would be stored as a part of the scene/include file, just
like mesh vertices are, right? But how would the data be generated?

We agree that fields could initialise the data, but how would this be done?
External utility? I don't think that's a good idea.

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 6)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org