POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OT: cpu speed & rendering time : Re: OT: cpu speed & rendering time Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:14:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OT: cpu speed & rendering time
From: Warp
Date: 13 Jan 2001 13:19:08
Message: <3a609c1c@news.povray.org>
Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote:
: Believe or not, the above is usually true for the three processors you named.
: In my experience, the main factor in POV performance is the processor's FPU
: (Floating Point Unit)

  This is a totally wild guess, but examining the povray code, I would say
that far less than 50% of it (when compiled to machine code) is FPU code.
Perhaps 10% or even less.

  Of course the FPU code is concentrated on places which are called
frequently, which raises the % of executed FPU code compared to executed
CPU code. Still, I would say that less than 50% of the code executed by
povray is FPU code.
  So the CPU execution speed would play an important role in rendering times.

  My point in my (sarcastic) answer was totally misunderstood.
  What I said was: "If povray rendering speed is the same in all three
processors, then it doesn't matter which one you use."
  I didn't say that the rendering speed is the same in the three processors.

--
char*i="b[7FK@`3NB6>B:b3O6>:B:b3O6><`3:;8:6f733:>::b?7B>:>^B>C73;S1";
main(_,c,m){for(m=32;c=*i++-49;c&m?puts(""):m)for(_=(