POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Compression : Re: Compression Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compression
From: Rune
Date: 13 Jan 2001 07:50:06
Message: <3a604efe@news.povray.org>
"Chris Colefax" wrote:
> Rune wrote:
> > what is the reason for the compression used by pcm and mesh2?
> >
> > I have two guesses myself:
> > 1) Zip is not universally supported.
> > 2) The file size while sending the mesh over the net is not
> >    the reason for compression, but rather the file size on
> >    the local HD.
>
> This is pretty much the case - ZIP may be an unofficial standard,
> but it's not guaranteed to be available on all platforms, and to
> use the zipped file you have to unzip it first (so the unzipped
> file plus the zipped file means the disk space required while
> using the file is actually larger than the uncompressed file!).

Thank you for clarifying that.

> an uncompressed mesh might the fastest and easiest if you don't
> want to do anything fancy with it, whereas the PCM gives you
> direct control over each vertex, and the mesh2 allows easy
> conversion from other formats, such as UV-mapped models.

I've been experimenting with my own mesh macros, but I've encountered some
problems. The biggest one is about the uv_vectors in mesh2. See p.u.p.

My idea is to create a new format that combines the best from PCM and mesh2.
(It would not support bicubic_patches though.)

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 6)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org