POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Focal Blur and Lens Glare : Re: Focal Blur and Lens Glare Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focal Blur and Lens Glare
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 12 Jan 2001 22:59:27
Message: <3a5fd29f@news.povray.org>
Ben Chambers <bdc### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Has anyone tried using focal blur and lens glare at the same time?  I
> haven't tried anything yet, but I was thinking of using both in an
> image, and was wondering about possible side effects from crossing the
> two.

By lens glare, do you mean an include file like Nathan Kopp's or my own Lens
Effects file?  If so, the methods used by these files (objects placed close
to the camera so as to appear in front of the rest of the scene) mean that
focal blurring will generally blur the lens artefacts quite a bit.  A small
amount of blurring is often effective, but too much and the simulated lens
artefacts will disappear altogether.

My own include file offers control over the spacing of the lens effect
objects, so you can stop/control the blurring to some degree.  Otherwise,
you can render the blurred scene, then re-render this as a backdrop
(image-map) to a scene with just the lens effect added.