POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OT: cpu speed & rendering time : Re: OT: cpu speed & rendering time Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OT: cpu speed & rendering time
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 12 Jan 2001 14:23:58
Message: <3a5f59ce@news.povray.org>
In article <3A5F48B9.FBA4E5E0@my-dejanews.com> , "Greg M. Johnson"
<gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote:

> Do you really mean that a 450 MHz Pentium II is as fast as a 450 MHz Pentium
> III,  Celeron, etc., as far as povray rendering time?   It goes against my
> intuition, or at least my cynical view that it's not that simple.

No, you are confusing CPU speed with render time.  They are two _different_
things.  You asked for a comparison of "CPU speed" vs "render time".  Render
time is a measurement of "CPU speed", thus you can't use one to compare the
other...

I think what Warp wants to point out is that CPU clock frequency (which is
what you seem to be up to) has absolutely no value to compare anything.
With this knowledge, the only useful comparison is to give a full system
configuration, both hardware and software, include such obscure factors like
disk fragmentation, and then look at the render time.

I suspect your question is in the direction of what CPU should I buy to
render fastest with POV-Ray?   As for this question, find a friend with a
similar configuartion you would like to buy and install POV-Ray.  Is it fast
enough for you compared to you current system?  If yes, buy exactly the same
system, if no, go to another friend and repeat the exercise.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde