POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : diffuse and ambient : Re: diffuse and ambient Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:13:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: diffuse and ambient
From: Tom Melly
Date: 11 Jan 2001 09:54:54
Message: <3a5dc93e$1@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] fwicom...

> But one does code like that, if one knows about the all-important
> global_settings { ambient_light COLOR } setting.  Just look at it
> as a big shadowless light source that casts light in all directions
> from everywhere.

Well, yes, but even using global ambient, the ambient of objects won't
change as you adjust the strength of the light-sources in the image.

> So, the ambient setting in a finish statement seems to me as though it
> should be closely related to diffuse, particularly if brilliance is low.

Yes.

> As brilliance goes up, ambient should go down relative to diffuse.  As
> diffuse goes up, ambient should also go up.
>
> If I were to propose a rule of thumb, I would say ambient and diffuse
> should be roughly the same number, and that ambient shouldn't be included
> in the requirement that filter+transmit+reflection+diffuse+specular <= 1.

I'm sure you're right - however, understanding this would require me to
think of more than two things at the same time, so I cannot verify ;)