POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Brsuhing up on math - intersection sphere-cylinder : Re: Brsuhing up on math - intersection sphere-cylinder Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brsuhing up on math - intersection sphere-cylinder
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 9 Jan 2001 06:49:21
Message: <3a5afac1@news.povray.org>
Remco de Korte wrote in message <3A5A368B.D282D447@onwijs.com>...
> > I have not tested it but I hope it'll help you
> > Should be very interesting to write parametric equation for it
> > to distribute evenly points on it
>

> That's my next step. I think I can handle that but probably by approximation.

Look at it from the top (from y axis)

You can cross your shape with planes y-z rotated evenly around y axis

Now trace crospoints of shape and plane depend of angle of rotation

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = R1^2
x^2 + ( y - H )^2 = R2^2
x = tg( alfa ) * z

this way you can achive parametric equation with parameter alfa (but it is
complicated)

than you can use definite integral to calculate length of parametric curve
and perhaps to find n points far length/n

ABX