POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Win 98: system resource, or what parameter? : Re: Win 98: system resource, or what parameter? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:27:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Win 98: system resource, or what parameter?
From: Scott Hill
Date: 8 Jan 2001 15:41:59
Message: <3a5a2617$1@news.povray.org>
"Francois Labreque" <fla### [at] videotronca> wrote in message
> (replying to self...)
>
> I forgot to add that things might improve a bit if you stop unnecessary
> apps that appear to be just just sitting there in the background, but
> are in fact monitoring system activty or relying on timers to do their
> bit, as they will run for short periods of time every so often and need
> to be swapped in, such as screen-savers, anti-virus softwares,
> config-watchers, system-tray tools, real-media apps, etc...

    If you're feeling brave[1] and you're running win98[2] you could try
using the System Configuration Utility to customize what programs and
drivers load at start-up - I found the SCU exe (MSCONFIG.EXE) installed in
my windows\system directory - you can even use it to have windows ignore
individual lines of your config.sys, autoexec.bat, system.ini & win.ini - so
you can, as I have, set-up 2 shell= lines in your system.ini, one that
launches explorer.exe, for normal windows, and one that launches POV (or
MegaPOV) as the shell - allowing you to get maximum performance out of POV
under windows!!!

--
Scott Hill.
Software Engineer.

*Everything in this message/post is purely IMHO and no-one-else's*

[1] Actually you don't need to be all that brave, the SCU has Create/Restore
backup buttons in case you're worried about screwing everything up.

[2] You may find it's available in 95 - I've never seen it on a 95 platform,
but then I only discovered it a month or two ago and, if you do have 98, and
can't find it - I have 98SE and it may only be available in SE, but, have a
look on you win98 CD (check in the cab files (winzip'll read 'em)) - it may
just have not got installed.