POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh for icosahedron : Re: mesh for icosahedron Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh for icosahedron
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 30 Dec 2000 18:23:24
Message: <3a4e6e6c$1@news.povray.org>
> > > 2) Does anyone have code for making a N-triangle approximation of a
> > > sphere (please don't code this just for me--does it already exist)?
> >
> > Maybe you can find something useful in one of the discussions about
> > "evenly spaced points on a sphere" on these groups...
>
> I've actually coded the scenario you described fairly successfully.  The
> problem comes in trying to figure out which of the points should be the
> vertices of the triangles.

I made some thoughts about this myself ...

It should be go with a recursive algorithm .... (sounds like StarTrek,
heheeee ...)

Imagine a regular tetraedron (ABCD),
with it's center (M),
having |A-M|=|B-M|=|C-M|=|D-M|=r

1) do for every triangle (ABC,ACD,ABD,BCD):
2)  divide it into 4 regular triangles
3)  normalize the distance of the 3 new points and the center (M) to r

all clear ???

--
Jan Walzer
(currently no Signature)