POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: POVRAY.ORG news server : Re: POVRAY.ORG news server Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRAY.ORG news server
From: Chris C
Date: 27 Dec 2000 06:40:12
Message: <3a49d51c@news.povray.org>
"Matt Giwer" <jul### [at] ijnet> wrote in message news:3A499D28.CEE0B4D8@ij.net...
> Chris Cason wrote:
> >
> > > I posted publically that email would be public.
> >
> > I did not see the post you refer to prior to sending you the email
> > in question. As I mentioned I do not read p.o.t except when I have
> > to, and it certainly was not there at the time.
> >
> > In any case, that is still not an excuse for posting my email to the
> > server as I had not agreed that you could do so.
>
> Your problem, not mine.
>
> It is good to be the owner.

My private emails to you were an attempt to settle an issue in such as way
as to allow you to continue to use my server, while stemming the tide of
complaints that your actions have caused.

I was sincere when I said that I would like to see you continue to be present,
even at this point. However, I re-iterate the statement made by other news
server administrators in insisting that the news server AUP be followed by
all persons using it.

For the education of others reading this thread, here is the email that Matt
thinks I 'feared' being made public.

I ask those who read this message to respect the request I now make: let this
thread die. There is no point in continuing it. Matt, this applies to you as
well. It is a polite request and I think it should be left at that. I do not
feel that there is anything to be gained from continuing it.

-- Chris Cason

Hello Matt,

I am informed that you want to hear from me personally. While I do
not generally read the off-topic group I have had a look though it
to get an idea of the discussion that has been going on.

My attitude is quite simple: While I value your participation (as
I value the participation of all POV users, which is why I have to
date not taken direct steps against you despite having received
regular complaints from ordinary POV users for most of the past 12
months), the amount of slack I am willing to continue to give is
limited or non-existent.

I note your dissection of the news server acceptable use policy.
It appears that you have some concerns about the exact meaning of
various phrases. I will not enter into any discussion of these as,
given the tone and phrasing of your discussions on this or similar
issues, it is unlikely that I could ever define it clearly enough
to suit you. I am not a lawyer and have no intention to try to be
one, or to write a legal document that poses as a news server AUP.

I'll put it simply: if you want to continue to use my property (i.e.
povray.org), please back off. I am sure you know what I mean. If you
don't know what I mean then I can't help you, and you'll probably end
up being banned. Please keep in mind that you are a guest on my server;
the use of it is not a right but a privilege.

I'd like to see you continue to be present and to offer & receive
the peer support that my server provides. I hope you will take this
email in the spirit that it is intended, and not attempt to open any
sort of argument or flame war with me (as I have no intent of being
involved with either. My day job and work on pov take up enough of
my time as it is). I have seen more than enough argument in the
p.o.t group to last for a very long time.

regards,

-- Chris Cason
   POV-Team