POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : gamma correction : gamma correction Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  gamma correction
From: Jonathan Rafael Ghiglia
Date: 23 Dec 2000 10:21:34
Message: <3a44c25b.3223522@news.povray.org>
I don't know how to properly set the assume and display gamma. After a
test with the "monitor gamma adjustment" of Paint Shop Pro I know my
monitor's gamma should be 1.21, but if I set both the assume gamma in
the global settings and the display gamma in the INI file to 1.21 I
get my images too dark (the same thing happens if I set both to 2.2,
for example). If I set the assume gamma to 1.21 and leave the display
gamma to 2.2 (the default value) I get my images too bright. How
should I set the two values? What is more, some of my PNG images seem
to look really too dark with some viewers, while with most viewers
they look right. Is it due to the image file gamma stored in PNG
files?