POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : patch object? : Re: patch object? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: patch object?
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 22 Dec 2000 19:30:31
Message: <3a43f227@news.povray.org>
Matt Giwer <jul### [at] ijnet> wrote
> I successfully did a
>
> #declare thing = difference
> {
> union { object list 1 }
> superellipsoid
> }
>
> but
>
> #declare another_thing = difference
> {
> union { object list 1 }
> union { object list 2 }
> superellipsoid
> }
>
> informs me that a patch object is not permitted and does not render
> another_thing.
>
> A little trial and error should solve the general problem. Am I correct
> in guessing a patch object is an old name for a CSG object?

There should be no problem using superellipsoids in CSG, as they are a
well-defined solid object (unlike triangles, polygons, bicubic patches,
discs, etc).  I have no problem rendering the difference of a union minus
another union and a superellipsoid.  Is it possible there is such a patch
object in your object list 2?  Perhaps some more detailed code might help
track the problem down...