POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Internally lit text as PNG files : Re: Internally lit text as PNG files Server Time
8 Jul 2024 05:06:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internally lit text as PNG files
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 15 Dec 2000 22:55:22
Message: <3a3ae7aa@news.povray.org>
Jennifer J. Hall <jjh### [at] acsubuffaloedu> wrote:
> However, if you give an emission color of yellow with a semitransparent
brass
> surface then why doesn't the emission color show from within MSIE even
though
> the surface is transparent?  When the file is rendered inside of POVRAY
the text
> is yellow as it is within Netscape also.  I'm thinking that maybe the
> transparency setting is overriding the emission color.  Is this so?

I believe POV-Ray uses the transmittance value of the first surface it hits
as the transparency in the PNG's alpha channel.  A quick test reveals that
if you render a media container with pigment {rgbt 1} to a transparent PNG,
MSIE shows it as completely transparent.  A media container with pigment
{rgbf 1} is shown as opaque (so the media is visible).

In answer to your question, then, yes - the surface transparency
(transmittance) is hiding the media.  Changing your surface to use filtering
instead should make the media visible, while still allowing you to have a
transparent background.