POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request for enhancement : Request for enhancement Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Request for enhancement
From: =Bob=
Date: 2 Dec 2000 21:12:30
Message: <3a29ac0e@news.povray.org>
I'd really like it if PovRay had assignment operators,
so that it would know the difference between declaring
a variable and assigning a value to an existing one. It
would, in my case, signal a typo for the multitude of
variables used in some of my code. I like to declare
the default variables and then change them as needed
prior to calling macros.

#declare gl_XposAtMaxVelocity = 1.45;

later in the code:

#assign gl_XPosAtMaxVelocity = 2.00;

Then PovRay would check the existence of the previously
declared variable and issue a warning that the variable
does not exist. In the example above, I have a capital 'P'
where it should be lower case.

Currently, PovRay just creates the new variable and the
macro continues to use the old value and it's sometimes
difficult to find the error.

Just wishing...
Thanks again for making such a wonderful program!
=Bob=