POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animated river using Liquid Spray? : Re: Animated river using Liquid Spray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:28:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animated river using Liquid Spray?
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 1 Dec 2000 22:44:54
Message: <3a287036@news.povray.org>
Jim Bufalo <val### [at] worldnetattnet> wrote:
> I'm trying to create a meandering stream using Chris Colefax's
> Liquid Spray. It will start from a point and follow a roughly sine
> wave-shaped course as the animation progresses.
> I've tried adjusting some of the displacement vectors and
> variables in SprayG.inc but without any success. Does anybody have any
> ideas as to how I can accomplish this?

An ambitious project, I'm sure!  However, as the name suggests, the Liquid
Spray include file is really designed for particle sprays.  The SprayG file
adds support for collision detection with an arbitrary, single plane, but as
the file was designed for (and remains compatible with) POV-Ray 3.0, this is
as far as it goes.  It's not currently feasible, without a using a patched
version of POV, to support generalised collision detection.

Now, I have always planned to create a more powerful, generalised particle
system using the features that will become available with the release of POV
3.5.  This is still my plan(!), but to create what you describe it might be
best to program your own, specific system.

Given that you know that path you want the particles to take, it should be
quite easy to use a while loop that places blob components along the path at
intervals based on the clock value.  If you post a few details about the
exact path, and the desired behaviour of the particles (e.g. evaporation and
other features similar to the Liquid Spray) I'd be happy to look at devising
some suitable code...