POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New computer for use with PovRay : Re: New computer for use with PovRay Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New computer for use with PovRay
From: Robert J Becraft
Date: 29 Nov 2000 20:43:22
Message: <3a25b0ba$1@news.povray.org>
The P3 1ghz with 256mb of RAM of course. <Grin>

My experience on a number of machines, says that RAM is far more important
than CPU, however, both play important roles in generating an image.  Once
my images start swapping, rendertimes skyrocket and this happens with more
objects in a scene.  So if you typically have tons of objects in your
renders then more memory will keep those objects in memory and not allow
them to be swapped out to disk storage.

A read from disk is still a read from disk and CPU power does nothing to
speed this process up.  Avoiding the write to disk in the first place is far
more advantageous.

Regards,
Robert J Becraft
aka cas### [at] aolcom