POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Crash! Bang! : Re: Crash! Bang! Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash! Bang!
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 28 Nov 2000 00:06:02
Message: <3a233d3a@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> This is one of the oldest bugs that I know of. It has something
> to do with the camera being at x+z = 0 while using look_at = 0.

More specifically, the problem is caused by the camera's view direction
being parallel to the sky direction (e.g. location <3, -5, 1> look_at <3,
15, 1> should also cause the problem).  When this occurs, POV-Ray is unable
to determine the up vector of the camera matrix, and the result is often a
program crash.

As Ken detailed, a work-around to avoid this is simply to shift the location
or look at so the view direction is not parallel to the sky direction, which
can also be done by specifying the sky or up vector of the camera directly.