POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature requests iden() : Re: Feature requests iden() Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature requests iden()
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 26 Nov 2000 09:00:06
Message: <3a211766@news.povray.org>
> I'm not sure if that's easy to implement, furthermore it's likely to
> produce errors because the string can change during eveluation of the Pov
> code.
>
> BTW, i don't know any programming language that has such a function.

I would imagine that the ability to change the string dynamically during the
parsing of the script is precisely the reason Rune would like a function
like this!  And it's not unheard of - PHP, for instance, allows variable
variables, i.e. you can have one variable $a = "name", then use $$a just as
if it were $name.