POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Motion Blur : Re: Motion Blur Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:14:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motion Blur
From: Warp
Date: 24 Nov 2000 07:01:12
Message: <3a1e5887@news.povray.org>
H. E. Day <Pov### [at] aolcom> wrote:
:  As for objects only moving according to the camera plane, I guess you've
: never used photoshop.  There is a  filter - radial blur - that allows you
: to do rotation and zooming blurs, all very fast.

  Since photoshop can't create new information from the 3D-object from a
2D image, the rotation will always be limited to a rotation parallel to
the viewing plane.
  This is seldom the case. Just think about the rolling pool ball. You will
probably not make it roll exactly parallel to the viewing plane.
  The point is that when the object rotates, new features from the "other
side" will become visible while other details in the other end of the
object will rotate behind the object.
  For example, think about the number in the pool ball. At the beginning of
the motion-blur path the number may be just in the other side of the ball
(and thus not visible) and when the ball rotates the number comes to the
visible side.
  No 2D-program can generate this kind of extra information to a 2D image.

  As for the zooming blur, you forget that zooming and moving the object
in the depth-axis are two completely different things.
  When you zoom, you are just scaling the 2D image bigger or smaller. No
new details are calculated.
  However, when you move an object in the depth-axis, the shape of the
object is changed due to perspective. An object very near to the camera has
a different shape than an object far away from the camera. For example, if
you look at the earth from very close distance, you can see only eg. 10% of
its surface. If you look at the earth from far away, you can see a bit less
than 50% of its surface.
  This means that moving an object in the depth-axis can bring more information
or hide some information (or both).
  Again, no 2D-program can do this.

  Another thing is that when an object is moving, it can go partially behind
another object (or come from behind another object). Again, no 2D-program
can simulate this.

  And all what I said in my previous article...

  And as I said, megapov's motion blur is just magnificent. Incredible.