POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Regarding stars in a scene : Re: Regarding stars in a scene Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Regarding stars in a scene
From: Bob H
Date: 18 Nov 2000 17:52:04
Message: <3a170814@news.povray.org>
"Matt Giwer" <jul### [at] ijnet> wrote in message news:3A1639FF.50EFCF48@ij.net...
> A generic rule of thumb if you rolling your own. Stars in the real are
> visible by virtue of their brightness not their angular size. In the POV
> world it is the angular size that makes an object visible.

That's an untruth actually.
Take a granite color map, for example, which disperses a star-like pattern with parts
(dots) being scaled too
small to be seen (when AA is used especially, not sure at the moment if this does in
all cases) and then try an
increase in color value.  I think the previously invisible pixels will then appear.
You might be right though about it when non-AA rendering.
Same goes for objects too I think.  Seems I've encountered that before.

Bob