POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : checkered passed : gradient symmetry (was checkered passed) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:07:42 EDT (-0400)
  gradient symmetry (was checkered passed)
From: Rick Mabry
Date: 17 Nov 2000 01:22:17
Message: <3a14ce99$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Colefax" <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
> The only thing to note is that the
> gradient pattern is symmetrical around the origin, so the tiling breaks
> along the x and y axes.  This is easily avoided by translating the pattern
> origin out of view.

What is the rationale for this symmetry?

Is there a way to create a gradient function with existing (or 3.5) Povray
commands that lacks this symmetry? More generally,  is there a nice way to
apply arbitrary functions for combining things? I'm dimly aware of
density_file, but that seems pretty extreme (even if it can be used).