POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FLOSS Weekly episode is now posted. : Re: FLOSS Weekly episode is now posted. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:25:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FLOSS Weekly episode is now posted.
From: Mike Williams
Date: 13 Feb 2008 03:03:06
Message: <3KI2AqNXOqsHFwgN@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it William Tracy who wrote:
>Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>> So what is the answer?  Can you make a Prism that works, breaking
>> white light into a rainbow?
>
>http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/424/

There's two different effects, both called "dispersion" in POVRay.
There's the one that makes the pretty patterns in the shadows of sparkly
things (using photon mapping) and there's the one that causes the
"chromatic aberration" problem that plagues telescope makers.

I suppose that in the real world they're both caused by the same
fundamental physics, but in POVRay the settings for enabling the effect
in the forward mapping of photons is separate from the settings for
enabling the effect in the conventional tracing of rays.

I vaguely seem to remember that the documentation for DKBTrace claimed
that chromatic aberration was "a bug in the real world" and was
therefore not then supported.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure