POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Subsurface Scattering: macro now available (21kb jpeg) : Re: Subsurface Scattering: macro now available (21kb jpeg) Server Time
20 May 2024 11:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subsurface Scattering: macro now available (21kb jpeg)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 26 Nov 2003 19:38:53
Message: <3FC5479B.1010305@hotmail.com>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> This is simply brilliant!

Thank you. You know, in-between posting the preliminary images, I kept
on thinking you might like to use this technique. You're an inspiration
to all POVers.... you know that, right? :)

> Thanks a lot (I'm selfishly glad that you finally
> got a more permanent internet connection...

If I can find a job soon, I can keep my ISP.

> Rare as it was, your input was
> always impressive)!

I'm terrible about being a stable presence. The problem is, I only post
when I'm sufficiantly inspired, and sometimes I take vacations from POV
for months; it's not all because I can't keep an ISP.

> Just wondering: how did you came up with this idea? It seems to be a case
> example of "thinking out the box"...

That's a tricky question. For some reason everything I learn about
POV-Ray gets stored in my memory better than most things, which makes
for a good pool of ideas to pull from. Somehow, this idea came as a
flash one night before bed.

> And for the potential developers: could this be hard coded for faster
> rendering?
> Also: could a trick like this be used to create patina effects?

 > G.

This *can* be hard-coded. A setup similar to the current implementation
of photons would do the trick, but instead of making them pass through
in refraction or bounce off in reflection, they would simply stick onto
the object's surface and blur out.

--
Samuel Benge

stb### [at] hotmailcom