POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : supershapes in povray : Re: supershapes in povray Server Time
4 Aug 2024 06:15:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: supershapes in povray
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 13 Jul 2003 07:28:45
Message: <3F11426C.E67ABF87@gmx.de>
Paul Bourke wrote:

> Has anyone been following the developments of supershapes that
> appeared in a brief article in Nature as little while ago? Well
> 3D versions can be made and there are some examples here
>     http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/surfaces/supershape3d/
> along with a PovRay macro.

Interesting, do you know if these shapes can be converted in an implicit
form, at least in some special cases?

This would make it easier to render them in POV-Ray without generating a
mesh.

> ps: I've never written a macro before so if there are any
> conventions I should have used then please let me know.

I don't think so.  When having many parameters it might be useful to group
them into vectors, this would be easier to memorize for the user.  If you
have vector parameters it is a good idea to alternatively allow floats by
using:

#macro Test (Parameter, ...)

  #local Param_Intern=Parameter+<0,0,0>;

Christoph