POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : .TER heightfield format patch available : Re: .TER heightfield format patch available Server Time
28 Sep 2024 19:48:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: .TER heightfield format patch available
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 16 Jun 2003 14:41:24
Message: <3EEE0F53.7669D4A2@gmx.de>
ABX wrote:

> [...]
>
> I know, but starting correct makes less changes later and builds vision of your
> person in serious later cooperation. BTW, there is another violation of license.
> Last paragraph of http://www.daylongraphics.com/other/povray/patches/ is:
>
>   The Usual Disclaimer
>
>   The code is still under development and is not warranted nor supported by me
>   or by Daylon Graphics Ltd.
>
> while POV license says clear:
>
>   You must provide all support for all users who use your custom version.

While i agree the used wording is not perfect i think you exaggerate this
point a bit.  The licence cannot force you to provide any specific support
for the user of a patch like helping him understanding how to use it or
fixing a bug.  The main idea behind this part of the licence is to make
the patch author being the one to contact about (purely voluntary) support
and not the POV-Team.

The motivation behind this 'disclaimer' obviously is to avoid legal
liability for the usage of these patches - the POV-Ray licence does not
handle this so the patch author has to take care of this himself (although
you can argue that you don't have to explicitly state it when the program
is accessible for free and for everyone like in this case).

Christoph