POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OpenGL preview in POV-Ray : Re: OpenGL preview in POV-Ray Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:10:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL preview in POV-Ray
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 7 Jun 2003 04:15:35
Message: <3EE19F4C.6BE7076@gmx.de>
ingo wrote:

> [...]
>
> To be honest, I realy wonder why this question, in different forms, has
> come up a few times now as a reaction to a first try / initial test. As
> Ray has stated in several other postings, you all have read, he is fully
> aware of the fact that POV-Ray is / should be / stay a platform
> independent piece of software. And if, for some reason, it is not platform
> independent, I'll hope someone will jump in and help him in making it so.

I am pretty sure everyone who stated concerns about the portability in
this thread is aware that it is possible to program platform independently
with OpenGL but this does not mean any OpenGL code is portable per
definition.

I would suggest to test the portability soon while developing the patch
because otherwise what you describe as 'jumping in' could be a pretty lot
of work.  The fact that quite some people mentioned their concerns seems
an indication that there is quite some interest in such a patch but it is
pretty unlikely that when not being suited for all platforms it would make
it into official POV-Ray or MegaPOV.

Christoph