POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blurred Reflections (just a suggestion) : Re: Blurred Reflections (just a suggestion) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred Reflections (just a suggestion)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 Jun 2003 12:30:30
Message: <3EE0C1CE.B20C09D@gmx.de>
"Tim Nikias v2.0" wrote:

> Well, I've known about how to do it, and the
> QandT doesn't answer why it isn't in POV-Ray 3.5,
> so that question is still unanswered.

Quoting:

"You can get blurred reflection which works pretty much like the one in
MegaPov, and which can even look better and be a bit faster to render..."

I think this qualifies for an answer (although it is not necessarily the
original reason why this megapov 0.x patch is not in POV-Ray 3.5).

> As for the functionality: The described technique
> doesn't really guarantee that the new samples
> will be spread in a hemisphere, which is what
> I'm after.

I don't understand.  You surely can't distribute the samples uniformly on
a hemisphere around the reflection ray direction because then samples
would be below the surface.  Maels patch allows detailed control over how
wide the samples are distributed although the density distribution as he
has written it corresponds to the phong model.

> The first link you gave works for Outlook to get
> that exact post, but I've got to figure how to
> access the entire thread. The second link doesn't
> work, as the web-view is disabled for now.

If the information i have printed is not sufficient to locate the thread
i'm afraid i can't help much.  This is what my search script spits out and
i think this is pretty much already.  Using the subject and the search
function of your newsreader or just the date of the post should be enough
to locate the thread.

Christoph