POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Large field of grass : Re: Large field of grass Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Large field of grass
From: Gena Obukhov
Date: 6 Jun 2003 11:06:28
Message: <3EE0AC17.140A3265@mail.com>
"Tim Nikias v2.0" wrote:

> Before my complete System Crash and my update
> from v1.0 to v2.0, I had written a nice grass-generator
> which would create a grassblade out of several triangles.
> Of these, I would generate about 20 different ones.
> Then, I'd take a random selection and built about 5
> different grass-bundles, using about 10 of the 20 blades
> per bundle. Then, these 5 bundles where saved as meshes
> to disk, and later scaled for different size, rotated around
> y to make the reuse of the same bundle less obvious, and
> translated to desired locations.

This is my pending plan - to make something like that :)
To make flexible and highly customizable plant system for
POV-Ray. There are many scripts already written for that
purpose but whenever I tried to use it I always faced some
sort of restrictions.
Here are some highlights of that possible system:
- triangle/mesh oriented
- flexible blade generator.
    Blade could be flat, two-fold and more folds.
    Ability to have UV-mapping for blade (for closup)
    Ability to configure all blade parameters:
        hieght, bredth, curve radius, blade edge (straight, curved, zigzag),
        random parameters etc.
   Such blade generator could be implemented as Java GUI.
- stem generator with the same functionality as blade generator.
- leaf and petal generator  with the same functionality as blade generator
- flower/plant generator based on leaf, stem and petal generator with
  additional parameters specific for the whole flower.

When grass/flower/plant is ready it could be used by a set of scripts/macros
for placement on surface. Those scripts/macros could take as input parameter
array of different plants (grass/flower). Those scripts could be divided into
such groups as:
- placement on flat surface (rectangle, circle and polygon) with ability to
  scale/rotate/change color for plants which are close to the border of the
shape
- placement on curved surface (using trace) with the same functionality as above

- placement on flat/curved surface specified by procedural texture. For example
  in case of b&w bozo to place plant only on black zone. For transition from
from
  black to white - scale plants down proportionally.

For painting those plants there could be another script(s) with the following
functionality:
- single color
- color randomly selected from the provided array of colors with separate
  array for plants which are close to the border
- color selected from specified procedural texture
- array of UV maps

Gena.