POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bump map disables smoothing of heightfield? : Re: Bump map disables smoothing of heightfield? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bump map disables smoothing of heightfield?
From: Xilo Musimene
Date: 4 Jun 2003 20:52:44
Message: <3EDE9466.3070508@hotpop.com>
> Just use the smoothed normal as input the the bump_map() function. It
> should be perturbed just like any other normal. If the normals line up
> seamlessly before being perturbed, they should remain seamless
> afterwards. Of course, the perturbing pattern itself will be evaluated
> over the flat surface of the triangle, which can probably give visible
> effects in some odd cases, but my feeling is that this will be rare.
> I'm not sure what averaging you're speaking of, or how it could undo
> smoothing. It should "just work".
> BTW, where is the code that does this?

I found something strange when rendering the image again, povray tells me:
Warning: Converting PNG image map to 8 bits/sample from higher bit depth.

I've rendered my height field with povray, specifying I wanted a PNG
with 16 bit per color.  But even if my image is grayscale, povray
outputs a RGB image of 48bpp;  is there a way to force the resulting
image to grayscale instead of RGB and is there a way to read such a
48bpp image for my heightfield...

I think this is The problem I have, I don't think bump_map has to do
with it... now I render the image without bump_map and the same uglyness
appears...

Thanks for any input, btw, I'll post images and code shortly, possibly
within the next 12 hours... ;)

Thanks,
   Xilo

--
Dedicated to audio/visual and interactive artwork.
http://www.geocities.com/simonlemieux/