POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtualight : Re: Virtualight Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtualight
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 May 2003 08:50:08
Message: <3ECE18FF.24D1EBB3@gmx.de>
Daniel Ngu wrote:

> Hi,
>    I'm Daniel Ngu from New Zealand.  I'm a new user of POVRay and I'm a huge
> fan.  It opened up new doors for me and let me in to a whole new universe.
> I just spent these couple of days going through the tutorials in the help
> menu, trying to learn to use POVRay and its language.  I'm also checking
> out other free raytracing programs out there, one that I'm also very
> interested in is Virtualight.  Since I'm a new comer, would you please let
> me know if you had tried out Virtualight as well and what you think of it
> and how it differs from POVRay.  This is not meant to be critical, just
> educational and from analytical standpoint.
>    I have been going through the Virtualight's manual, one note I'll like to
> make is how similar its language is to POVRay.  I could interchange the
> source file between the two renderer pretty well.  However, there are times
> that I found Virtualight do provide features that are more readily
> available,
> [...]

Hello and welcome,

i have never tried Virtualight myself but from the features description it
does not supply any features that are not available in POV-Ray (unless you
count scanline rendering abilities) while there are a lot of advantages of
POV-Ray on the other hand, for example:

- free usage even for commencial purposes
- availability of source code
- availability for non-Windows platforms
- powerful scene description language
- suitability for large scenes (i have not seen any complicatred scene
made with virtualight until now)

Christoph