POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radial coordinates in POV : Re: Radial coordinates in POV Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radial coordinates in POV
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 18 May 2003 04:49:52
Message: <3EC7492F.89CD9681@gmx.de>
Ed Jackson wrote:

> [...]
>
> POV, it seems, defines these in the opposite manner.  I was hoping that
> someone in the know could tell me whether this is a mistake, or if the
> convention is simply less well-defined than I believed.  After all, we
> usually use z-up cartesian coordinates in physics, too.  :)

As you correctly describe there is no conversion function from cartesian
to spherical coordinates in POV-Ray, you have to create your own (and can
use the mentioned built-in functions for that).  Depending on how you use
them you get different types of coordinate systems.  The formulas of the
f_r, f_th and f_ph function can be found in the docs so it should not be a
problem to create whatever function is needed with them.

When you don't get what you are trying to achieve you probably messed with
the axes or the value ranges of the functions.

Christoph