POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering texture for use in SkySphere : Re: Rendering texture for use in SkySphere Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering texture for use in SkySphere
From: Xilo Musimene
Date: 15 May 2003 06:16:25
Message: <3EC368FE.8050502@hotpop.com>
> If you're going to render an image for a sky in another program (particulary
> a polygon-based one), rather than using a sphere, you could use a skybox.
> Just render 6 views of your scene looking n,s,e,w,u,d with a 90 degree
> camera angle and as square images. Then just map them onto the surfaces of
> a cube, place a camera in the centre of the cube, and there you go.

Interesting, I think indeed there would be no visible deformation...
and will take up much less polygons!  Thanks!

BTW, I'm currently doing the exact opposite:  I'm rendering a box in
povray with the spherical camera and applying it to a sphere in opengl
to see if it looks like a sphere stuffed in a box...

Will post images to p.b.images...

Thanks,
   Xilo

--
Dedicated to audio/visual and interactive artwork.
http://www.geocities.com/simonlemieux/