POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering texture for use in SkySphere : Re: Rendering texture for use in SkySphere Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering texture for use in SkySphere
From: Xilo Musimene
Date: 14 May 2003 16:22:20
Message: <3EC2A57C.1050002@hotpop.com>
>   Actually what you are trying to do is a (spherical) environment map,
> which is a very basic technique.
>   You can render such spherical environment map by specifying "spherical"
> in your camera settings. Usually the optimal resolution for such map
> is twice as wide as high (eg. 256x128 or whatever).
>   After this you can use the image created like this as an image map
> with spherical mapping (map_type 1 iirc).
>
>   You can have a lot more than just stars there if you want. You can
> have planets, entire worlds or whatever. The only requisite is that
> none of the geometry in this "world" should be anywhere near the camera.

Warp, you just made things perfectly clear to me!  I knew there was
something simple but could find it...

I know I can have more than just stars and that's the point of using
povray for my sky texture!

It's for use in a backgound sphere for a new opengl program I'm doing...

Now, I wonder how to map this texture on an OpenGL sphere...  Normally,
I would have to do a cylindrical mapping on my sphere, but I can deform
the texture to make it spherical...

I guess I should deform it with a sinus of some sort...  Anyway, should
be easy by now...

Thanks a lot!
--
Dedicated to audio/visual and interactive artwork.
http://www.geocities.com/simonlemieux/