POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plant Studio question : Re: Plant Studio question Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plant Studio question
From: Gena
Date: 6 May 2003 17:25:25
Message: <3EB82846.39CC99CD@mail.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <3eb8102b@news.povray.org> , Simon Adameit
> <sim### [at] gaussschule-bsde>  wrote:
>
> > With a tree generator and leafs this might not be an option.
>
> If you abuse meshes, don't expect them to react friendly.  They are
> "meshes", not "collections of individual, unconnected triangles".

Here is the description of the problem:
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/358/

As a matter of fact I didn't know about that problem and implemented
export of smooth_triangle mesh in POV-Tree and faced the problem.
First, I also thought that my algorithm is wrong and that I "abuse" mesh
:)
I checked the code and it was correct then I found that post. So I
decided to stay away from smooth_triangles because double illuminate
doesn't work for trees in most cases (also it doubles filesize :)
Hopefully
POV-Ray 4.0 will resolve the problem.

Gena.