POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Proof: 2 x 8 bit textures and interpolation : Re: Proof: 2 x 8 bit textures and interpolation Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proof: 2 x 8 bit textures and interpolation
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 May 2003 16:59:00
Message: <3EB57F13.D7457A20@gmx.de>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:

> [Talking about "16 bit image map pattern not working with isosurface"]
>
> Christoph Hormann wrote:
> >Note this is probably an extremely bad idea since it does not work with
> >interpolation
> >
> I dare to object...
>
> I think I have the mathematical proof that there is no problem
> with interpolation even when using two separate 8 bit images instead
> of one 16 bit set. You just have to use bilinear interpolation on
> both of them:

If you read the citation in my reply you cite here:

> > I busted my head over this one too for a while. I ended up using TGA's of
> > the 16-bit-for-height_field flavor and extracting the MSB and LSB by
> >
> > function{pigment_foo(x,y,z).red+pigment_foo(x,y,z).green/256}
> >
> > which is probably where you are almost at anyway.
>
> Note this is probably an extremely bad idea since it does not work with
> interpolation and using not interpolated image maps will result in
> infinite gradients in the function.

you can see it refers to using a TGA like it is used for 16 bit
heightfields.  I really thought this was clear.  No need to make that much
fuzz about it because everyone who has ever tried this with interpolation
will immediately recognize it is a bad idea.

Christoph