POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : (vector) sum of two objects : Re: (vector) sum of two objects Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (vector) sum of two objects
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Apr 2003 13:07:03
Message: <3EA6C837.BB38782A@gmx.de>
Achill Schuermann wrote:

> Mathematically, the (vector) sum A+B of two sets A and B is defined as
> the set of all points x=a+b with a in A and b in B.
> A+B = { x : x=a+b, a in A and b in B }.

I have no idea what you are talking about but we are not dealing with sets
of points but with surfaces.  Your definition of a vector sum does not
seem to be applicable for surfaces.

> A "simple" example is the sum of two convex polyhedra (cube,
> tetrahedron, octahedron, etc.) which is again a polyhedron.

That's not an example.

Let's say we have a unit cube between <0,0,0> and <1,1,1> and a sphere at
<0,0,0> with radius 1.  What is the 'vector sum' of these objects?

Christoph