POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : (vector) sum of two objects : Re: (vector) sum of two objects Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:30:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (vector) sum of two objects
From: Achill
Date: 23 Apr 2003 13:07:21
Message: <3EA6C82F.1070205@ma.tum.de>
>>A+B = { x : x=a+b, a in A and b in B }.
>

> In my knowledge sum of sets is
> A+B = { x : x in A or x in B }
> which can be union{} or merge{} object in POV.

I did not mean "union". Although, the (vector) sum can be viewed as the
union of all possible vector additions a+b with vectors a in A and b in B.

>>I hope this gives a little idea of what i had in mind.
>
> Not for me :-(
> but in above text you seam expect that sphere+box=rounded box. This link can
> help http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/261/#round_box_union

Thank you for the hint. The macros
   Round_Box_Union(PtA, PtB, EdgeRadius),
   Round_Box_Merge(PtA, PtB, EdgeRadius),
   Round_Cylinder_Union(PtA, PtB, Radius, EdgeRadius),
   Round_Cylinder_Merge(PtA, PtB, Radius, EdgeRadius),
   Round_Cone_Union(PtA, RadiusA, PtB, RadiusB, EdgeRadius),
   Round_Cone_Merge(PtA, RadiusA, PtB, RadiusB, EdgeRadius)
with Radius=EdgeRadius and RadiusB=EdgeRadius respectively seem to give
special examples of sums with a sphere.

Still, it would be nice to have a general "sum" or at least a "sum with
a sphere"...

Achill