POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : (vector) sum of two objects : Re: (vector) sum of two objects Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:31:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (vector) sum of two objects
From: Achill Schuermann
Date: 23 Apr 2003 12:33:01
Message: <3EA6C026.6010005@ma.tum.de>
> Before answer, can you describe more? Example with description of two components
> and expected result...

Mathematically, the (vector) sum A+B of two sets A and B is defined as
the set of all points x=a+b with a in A and b in B.
A+B = { x : x=a+b, a in A and b in B }.

A "simple" example is the sum of two convex polyhedra (cube,
tetrahedron, octahedron, etc.) which is again a polyhedron.

Another example is the sum of a set A with a sphere of radius r,
centered at <0,0,0>, which gives the set of all points "within distance
r of A". This would give a nice "rounding effect".

I hope this gives a little idea of what i had in mind.

Achill