POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Amapi is free : Re: Amapi is free Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:12:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amapi is free
From: Tom A
Date: 17 Apr 2003 18:36:28
Message: <3E9F2C6C.8020904@my-deja.com>
Andreas Kreisig wrote:
 > Tom Melly wrote:
 >

 >> So... what will Amapi allow me to do that I couldn't do with the
 >> SDL? (or at least not realistically).
 >

 > I don't know Amapi (just tried it a view month ago) but generally a
 > modeler will allow you to make organic and / or realistic looking
 > objects. You can't do that with POV-Rays SDL. Most images posted at
 > p.b.i are nice, some are quite impressive, but none are really
 > realistic. In my opinion the SDL is not very well suited to build a
 > scene. Not worth mentioning that this is a very unnatural way to
 > create something. So if you just want to create some kind of
 > 'interesting' images, SDL is okay. If your goal is realism, you
 > should forget it. You mentioned to code realistic figures. There are
 > lot's of other things you can't really do with SDL.

I'm much more mathematically inclined than artistically, so I really
like positioning object by co-ordinates.  I cannot understand graphing
applications (even 2d ones) that don't allow that.  If it doesn't, how
can you make something as simple as a bullseye, where you need several
concentric circles with a common center?

--
Tom A.
"I've got the whole world