POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc... : Re: Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc...
From: Xilo Musimene
Date: 15 Apr 2003 21:56:41
Message: <3E9C2B0E.6000606@hotpop.com>
> I don't see any colour information, the GIF is just a representation of
> the data in the DEM file.
> The SRC-file funnily enough contains the source for the data for every
> pixel. I don't see how that can help...

Ok, I've been working on my program a lot and it now works... it
currently outputs a bmp and the grayscale is scaled to 8bits,
unfortunately...  I'll work with that for now and eventually, I will
write Grayscale 16bit PNGs!

Though, there is something extremely strange about the image I get...
First, I realized the countrys near Holland, etc, were "really" lower
than sea level!  And second, holland is white, sea is gray, and land is
black...  but in the alps, where the elevation is very high, it gets
lighter...

I would have expected the land to be on the coast almost the same value
as the sea, but there is a definite sharp change from light gray(sea) to
dark gray(land), and that can be seen on all coasts...

I believe the sea has a special code, and should not be displayed like
the land, I don't know...  I could send you a very small jpeg of some
region of the result I get so you can see for yourself and this way
maybe you'll understand what's happenning?

Thanks,
   Xilo