POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc... : Re: Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc...
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 14 Apr 2003 21:49:28
Message: <3E9B6516.24AFD32C@onwijs.com>
Xilo Musimene wrote:

> If possible, and I don't want to ask for too much, I'd like to have the
> four quadrants concerning europe...  but only if it's possible for you,
> or if you can explain to me how to read USGS data I could possibly write
> a program to make images out of it...  I'm a programmer...
>
> Thanks a lot,
>    Xilo

Well, that's what I did. The format is very straightforward. If you
download the four sectiosn, each section has several files, but you'll
only need the DEM file. It has the height data stored in 5400 rows and
4800 colums, with 2 bytes for each pixel. Couldn't be simpler (also
couldn't be more bloated...).
If you have the four sections you can combine them to one fairly huge
heightfield - or at least cut out the part you need.

Remco