POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc... : Re: Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc...
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 14 Apr 2003 14:18:53
Message: <3E9AFB79.A3A55428@onwijs.com>
Xilo Musimene wrote:

> > here
> > http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/BlueMarble.html
>
> This website is awesome, with quality images beyond what I expected!
>
> > and here for height_field
> > http://gw.marketingden.com/planets/earth.html
>
> Though, this one offers less quality, I'd have to pay to download better
> heightfields.
>    Since I'm specially interested in europe, I'd have to have a much
> better height field than that in order to make interesting landscape...
>   Though it'll be perfect for a start!
>
> Thanks a lot Marc!
>    Xilo

I can perhaps give you a heightfield with a higher resolution, but the
vertical resolution might not be that good (bitmap with range [0..255]).
I got the USGS data here:
http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/gtopo30/
It's a 5400x4800 pixel bitmap for the Europe part (lots of sea and
ocean).

Oh, just checked, I only have North West Europe right now. The other
parts should be on the site as well.

Remco