POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc... : Re: Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc...
From: Xilo Musimene
Date: 14 Apr 2003 21:28:43
Message: <3E9AD300.7060604@hotpop.com>
> I can perhaps give you a heightfield with a higher resolution, but the
> vertical resolution might not be that good (bitmap with range [0..255]).
> I got the USGS data here:
> http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/gtopo30/
> It's a 5400x4800 pixel bitmap for the Europe part (lots of sea and
> ocean).
>
> Oh, just checked, I only have North West Europe right now. The other
> parts should be on the site as well.

Well, I've seen those images, at the site you mentionned, and those are
not heightfields, but rather rendered heightfield...  can you make a
real heightfield out of it?   Even if the scale has only 256 values, it
would be perfect for my use!

If possible, and I don't want to ask for too much, I'd like to have the
four quadrants concerning europe...  but only if it's possible for you,
or if you can explain to me how to read USGS data I could possibly write
a program to make images out of it...  I'm a programmer...

Thanks a lot,
   Xilo