POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pretrace and error bound : Re: Pretrace and error bound Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:12:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pretrace and error bound
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 31 Mar 2003 14:26:14
Message: <3E889655.29A76DA8@gmx.de>
Matti Karnaattu wrote:

> [...]
>
> If I understand this right, we can calculate pretrace block size to match
> with error_bound using formula:
>
>   pretrace (_end) = error_bound * minimum_reuse

No, pretrace_end is the pretrace block size as fraction of the render
size.  error_bound on the other hand refers to scene geometry.  Therefore
you can't give a precise best pretrace_end for every render.  It strongly
depends on the view of the scene and the camera.

> We have to assume that low_error_factor is one. This pretrace value is
> smallest useful pretrace_end value and lower values are waste of time. When
> always_sample is set to off this value should be used to get equal detail
> when using radiosity always_sample on. Am I correct?

As already said you are making wrong assumptions from the beginning but
concerning planning the pretrace another radiosity parameter is important
too: nearest_count.  It strongly affects whether new samples are taken or
not, both during pretrace and during final render.  And always_sample does
not really turn taking of samples completely off during final trace, IIRC
it just sets nearest_count to 1.

> Radiosity samples are distributed evenly if there is one pretrace step. Is
> there any use to set pretrace_start to different value from pretrace_end
> value?

Yes, there is - quality of results tends to get better with larger
pretrace_start because the choice of positions where radiosity samples are
taken is better balanced.  The difference in quality of course might be
low compared to the slowdown.

Christoph