POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : fuctions and uv_mapping : Re: functions and uv_mapping Server Time
3 May 2024 23:55:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: functions and uv_mapping
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 Mar 2003 12:48:33
Message: <3E7F4506.D82A7B7B@gmx.de>
David Burnett wrote:

> [...]
>
> All this came from a uv_mapped 2D pigment function that I wanted to try
> using as iso_function to 'displace' a sphere, to give that extra inch of
> realism over using it as a normal function.

This has nothing to do with what i mentioned.  You can't use uv-mapping
for a displacement function since UV coordinates are only available on the
surface (i.e. in textures).  You could generalize that to uvw-coordinates
but that would require elementary changes and would only work for certain
very basic objects.

Using angular coordinates for displacing the surface of a sphere is no
problem with the current function syntax.

Christoph