POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : System resources depleted in animations : Re: System resources depleted in animations Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:57:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: System resources depleted in animations
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 19 Mar 2003 03:32:10
Message: <3E782B0A.4A25BB90@gmx.de>
Bosley wrote:

> Now I come to the question that I need you folks for.  Do you think this is
> a problem with the POV-Ray distribution, a small code leak compounded to
> noticability by a large codebase parsing repeated over and over for the
> animation?  Or is there some trick to the POV language I am ignorant of?  I
> [...]

Well, i obviously can't answer your question because i did not see your
code but there are a few things you should bear in mind:

- the OS system monitor is no good indication for whether there is a
memory leak in POV-Ray or not.
- if you want to trace down the problem (no matter whether it's a SDL code
problem or an internal POV-Ray problem) you should remove one part of the
scene after the other and see if the problem persists.
- The POV-Ray source code contains some mechanism for tracking down memory
problems, if you have experience with C programming and compiling you can
try to use it.
- If you want the POV-Team to have a look at this problem a minimal test
scene will be required.

Christoph