POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyright, again (benchmark) : Re: Copyright, again (benchmark) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:15:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright, again (benchmark)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 Mar 2003 08:33:20
Message: <3E75CEA0.A0CB61B8@gmx.de>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> Suppose I want to use the ground & sky from benchmark.pov in an otherwise
> original scene/anim. I guess it's okay to do so for the IRTC. But suppose I
> want to submit to zazzle an image made with it?

Although the benchmark scene has a special permission to be modified for
benchmarking purposes (see the file's comment) the restrictions of
povlegal are also valid for it:

"The user is also granted the right to use the scene files, fonts,
bitmaps, and include files distributed in the INCLUDE and SCENES\INCDEMO
sub-directories in their own scenes. Such permission does not extend to
any other files in the SCENES directory or its sub-directories. The SCENES
files are for your enjoyment and education but may not be the basis of any
derivative works unless the file in question explicitly grants permission
to do such."

In case of the sky - this is Mick's work and just a variation of his
famous media skies he already posted in several versions in these
newsgroups IIRC.  You will have to ask him concerning it.

Concerning the ground - it is nothing fancy so i doubt anyone would
recognize it if you used it in an IRTC picture - i surely won't try to
copyright the RMF parameters...  But i'd rather not give permission for
using something from the official sample scenes and thereby making an
exception from the license.  If you have any problems setting up your own
isosurface ground feel free to ask.

Christoph